- Nov 16 2023
- 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Building Bridges through Understanding the Village – Online Community of Practice
6 Thursdays evenings: November 16, December 7, January 4 & 25, February 15, & March 7, 6:30 pm – 9:00 pm (15 Hours)
In this Community of Practice (CoP) we will explore the opportunity to cognitively and emotionally comprehend how colonization affected Indigenous communities throughout generations. Together, we’ll engage in collaborative dialogue, discussions, and critical reflection to learn how to begin the process of decolonizing the education system to create culturally appropriate early childhood education programs. This professional development opportunity maintains a non-blame and non-shame perspective and is an invitation to participants to become part of the ongoing healing that is already taking place in many Indigenous ‘villages.’
Facilitators: Kathi Camilleri & Ewa Boss
• This CoP will be addressing Residential Schools and their effects in an in-depth way. Participation may trigger unresolved grief and loss issues for some.
• Each participant will receive a copy of “Speaking Our Truth: A Journey of Reconciliation” by Monique Gray Smith and a journal. This will be available for pick up from our office: #100, 6846 King George Blvd, Surrey BC. Shipping will be available for a cost of $20.00.
– All sessions will be held online through the Zoom platform.
– You will need access to a smartphone, laptop, tablet or computer with a camera and audio capabilities to join us.
– A link will be emailed to you in the days prior to each session. Please click the link ten minutes before the workshop begins to join in. Further instructions will be included in the email.
As a program, Child Care Options CCRR continues our work regarding Truth and Reconciliation by embodying the Calls to Action from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) and the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP), adopted by the Government of BC. One of our commitments is to educate ourselves and pass that education on to others. Therefore we are offering this community of practice at a reduced cost.
This Community of Practice is for early learning and child care professionals who work in Delta, Surrey or White Rock. To register please call our office: 604.572.8032
Venue: Online Community of Practice